Friday, May 2, 2014

No Homo

(Continuation of "That's Gay")

Mouth believed homosexuality was nasty. I engaged him in a long conversation regarding his view of gays, hoping that I could get him to reassess his stance. By no means did I expect Mouth to leave my office feeling differently about homosexuality, but I wanted him to at least see that his tirade was no different than a racist commentator spewing hate about blacks. As a young black man, I figured Mouth would understand that. He couldn't see the parallel, however. Mouth had his mind made up that gays were gross.

I suggested that he take a class titled " Sociology of Sex and Gender" being offered at the college. I knew the Professor teaching the course and figured he could benefit from the experience. After some convincing, Mouth agreed to take the class. I made him promise that he wouldn't disrespect the students or the Professor. He gave me his word that no issues would arise.

True to his word, Mouth was a good citizen in the class. At the midterm break, he had a "B" and had nothing but good things to say about the topics they covered. Mouth was clear that he still didn't accept the gay lifestyle, but agreed that his rant months earlier in my office was over the top. I was proud of him for allowing some evolution to occur.

Towards the end of that semester I wanted to debrief about the class so I could get a better handle of what he gleaned from it. Mouth was happy to share his newfound understanding of homosexuality.

Me: I'm glad you took this class. It was very mature of you to accept my challenge.
Mouth: It wasn't no challenge. I mean, I like sociology topics anyway. I guess you could say I learned something.
Me: And what was that?
Mouth: I definitely realize that a lot of my views were kind of harsh. I mean, it's whatever for me. I get it now.
Me: That's good. See. You evolved.
Mouth: Yeh. It's a condition of the mind, you know. It's kind of like being retarded.

No comments:

Post a Comment